top of page

Jusienė Uršulė

* 1911-1960
* Recognized in 2009

Antupiai village cemetery,
Vilkaviškis district, Lithuania

Jusienė Uršulė


About the rescuer and the rescue story

Sisters Rivka and Ester Faktorovski lived in Vilkaviškis with their father. Their mother died before the war.

On June 22, 1941, the city was occupied by the Germans. A month later, the father was killed along with other Jewish men. September 24 women and children were shooten. Rivka and Esther were not in the village that day - they were working with farmers. That's how they managed to save themselves.

The next day, they were found by the police and arrested. The girls were included in a group of twelve other saved Jews. The German officer promised that they would all stay alive and allowed them to stay in the village, in the two nebulas. Some Jews who were hiding elsewhere, heard about this and decided to join them.

Until mid-November, they lived freely, working for farmers.

However, farmers who hired Jews had to report their names to the police. November 15 the rest of the Jews were rounded up and shot.

Rivka and Ester managed to hide again - this time at Uršulė Jusienė's house. They stayed here until 1942. January 5 the girls were arrested because someone betrayed the Jews who were hiding.

January 8 the massacre of Jews took place again, only a few remained alive - among them were the Faktorovski sisters. They managed to bribe a police officer by promising to give him the property they had. The Gestapo soon began an interrogation, questioning this officer, trying to understand why he had left all these people alive.

The sisters decided to write to the Gestapo to announce that their mother was not Jewish. The farmer Uršulė Jusienė and her nun sister testified to that.

The priest of Vilkaviškis, Jonas Kardauskas, issued both sisters real baptismal certificates. Therefore, in 1942 May 28 Rivka and Esther were released, and all the other Jews imprisoned there were killed.

From that day on, the sisters lived with Uršulė Jusienė openly. They did farm work, went to church on Sundays and lived in Uršulė's house until the Russian army came.

After the war, the sisters left Lithuania and lived in Israel.

Rescued persons:

Rivka Faktorovskytė
Ester Faktorovskytė


Uršulė Jusiene with her sons Albinas and Gediminas. 1958

Ester Faktorovski with her husband

bottom of page